Ureshii: 8

Monday, January 26, 2009 Jonette 0 Comments


photograph courtesy of ~diP.


嬉しい (ureshii):

To be glad, happy, delighted, joyful, overjoyed, cheerful, pleased, contented, grateful, elated, jubilant, exultant, ecstatic, euphoric, enraptured thrilled (to bits), over the moon... you get the picture. ;)


Gongxi Facai! Happy Chinese New Year, everyone. (and that's pronounced Kong-shi Fa-tsai!) A prosperous and wish-fulfilling Year of the Ox to you, no matter what animal your stars have borne you under. )




A few things in my personal sphere right now.




1) A Theater-date with my grandmother at the end of the week. Miss Frances Makil-Ignacio, Grand Dame of the Philippine stage, invited us to watch her performance in Atang this Sunday. Such a honor it is! I've had the opportunity to work with her a couple of times. Through the many slip-ups and mistakes, I've learned so much from her. Watching her perform on stage is proof for me that there is a God.

2)I'm in the papers! This was the result of an afternoon chatting with food writer, journalist, and galpal Joan Teotico. she asked me her thoughts on the population in Manila, and a week later, poof! There it was. How she worked her magic, I have no idea.

3) Personal-sized Tikoy! although I grew up watching my mother dip the slices in beaten egg before frying, I prefer frying it naked. It brings out the gooey, chewy sweetness in the delicacy. Nothing quite like really getting into your food, chewing with all you've got.

4) Lion Dances. I always look forward to running into these monstrous beauties. A giant animal puppet manipulated by two expert martial artists is always a feat worthy of hearty applause. (Um, I also can't help but gush when it cocks its head and bats its elids and lifts its ears and wags its tail and does all sorts of animal-y things. I'm a sucker for that kind of cute. ^_^")

Offerings of the Internet:

Cynthia shares with the Plurk world 40 Tips for a Better Life.

From XKCD: This. And this.

From the Boyfriend: This rocked my day. so did this and this! (Mythbuster guys do it again.) This one too.

Epic Win, Win and Win! I remember growing up on the two movies, singing the songs and knowing the lines by heart. As for the Viewfinder, my dad handed me down his own prized set. His viewfinder was particularly awesome because it had an audio function -- you popped the cartridge in and listened to the narration while peering through it. I recall ooh-ing and aah-ing to The Bible and the Dragon Fist (featuring Bruce Lee!) :D

And now, a reprieve from the lovely Helen Reddy from Pete's Dragon -- Candle on the Water.



We ♥ Aled Lewis' designs, yes we do.

How to extract your own DNA, with everyday items in your home. Never know when it could prove useful. ^_^*

Thi is definitely useful to budding photographers. A beginners guide to capturing motion in your photography -- get your SLRs and Holgas out! ^__^*

The beauty of ice storms. On a nature thought, The Wish-fulfilling Tree.


Itzhak Rabin and his Broken String.


The world needs more kids as bright and inventive as this one and this one!

This is one very good reason why adopting a pet from a shelter is all worth it.

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, 2nd Movement (or is it his 3rd?)... as played by your computer.



The Cabinet of Curiosities is an intriguing romp for the discerning curio collector. Miss Colette Calascione's Gallery is but one of them.



Signore Carlos Alberto from Portugal converts a Vespa into a wooden mobile masterpiece.


Manhattan in Pictures.

Neil Gaiman retells what happened The Day The Saucers Came.

StumbleUpon buddy Mikhal de Dios sent me this video. I asked Irl Pangilinan, a musician and work buddy of mine, for help identifying this piece. He was stumped as to what it was, but we were both sure that it was a Mozart piece. Any idea what it is folks? Extra points if you do.



Boom De Yada! Boom De Yada! This video had me singing all week. Never fails to cheer me up.




From TED.com: Helen Fisher tells us why we love, and why we cheat.






0 Comments:

Care to leave a comment? I'd love to hear what's on your mind. :)

Followers