Little, little sea people, and other stories

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 Jonette 2 Comments


At present, days at the office have been rather slow. (Can you say four students or less a day?) That pretty much makes up for a lot of idle time. I decided to start a Sea Monkey Tank at my workstation, just to see how well they survive in an office environment. I used to take care of them as a kid, and I'm glad I found a kit just before Christmas at half the regular price. Huzzah! 

What exactly are Sea Monkeys, you say?


From the Official Sea-Monkey Handbook:

Sea-Monkeys are a variety of Artemia which are crustaceans such as Brine Shrimp or Seed Shrimps. Their correct latin name is Artemia nyos ("after the New York Ocean Science Laboratories where the hybrid Sea-Monkeys were developed.")

A true MIRACLE of nature, Sea-Monkeys actually exist in SUSPENDED ANIMATION! While inside their tiny eggs - yet unborn, they burn the "spark of life" for many YEARS! The Instant-Life cyrstals in which the eggs are enclosed, preserve their viability and help to extend still further - their unhatched life span!...The name scientists have given this amazing rare process is "cryptobiosis" which means "hidden life".

So, there.

For a more entertaining explanation, here's a video:


Yay!

Right now, I'm at stage 2 -- the water has been purified and let stand for a day, and the Instant Life powder is now pretty much dissolved. Well, there's no activity yet, but with the kind of cold climate in the office, these little guys ought to come around in a day or two, so PATIEEEEENCE.

On the homefront, I'm glad to say I've begun taking commissions piece by piece. My dad sent home one of his well-loved drawstring pants for me to replicate and lengthen, and there's a notebook purse gal pal Guia had me make for her. they're both going to be first-time affairs, and I really am excited to start working on them. The pieces for the bag are mostly finished, lining, outer panels and all, and I just need to put them together and add a nice wrist strap.

Oh! and there's a Jayne Cobb Hat my colleague Stephanie asked me to make for her. First legit knitted hat, yo. Stephanie's enthusiasm is so infectious! She said "I'm so excited, it's not funny!" See what a cutie she is? I love it!

This is also going to be my second fandom item in the works, as my first one was a brain slug hat for Mik. Which I still have to finish. Which I still need yarn for.

Um.

Anyway!  I'm glad to say things are looking up craft-wise.

<><><><><><><><><>

Oh, and PS: Er... My Lijit Recent Search says. "Physical Congress with Equine Quadrupeds." Seriously, guys? People look for the strangest things on this blog.

2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to have em sea monkeys. T__T
    but whenever i'm about to pay for it, something's stopping me. Maybe when I get a little extra cash, i'd def go for it. Huhu im such a sucker for toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *pats pats* All in good time. :) Here's hoping you manage to find the right tank and the right set at the right time, and with the right money. :)

    ReplyDelete

Care to leave a comment? I'd love to hear what's on your mind. :)

Followers