Amigurumi: Squidy (May 24, 2008)

Saturday, June 14, 2008 Jonette 0 Comments

To be honest, I never imagined I'd ever return to crocheting. My memories of it in Grade School Home Economics comprised of vision fatigue, exhaustion and frustration. The vision fatigue and exhaustion are still there, true, but it's not as frustrating anymore. :) Now I'm a bit older, I find it rather calming and addicting. It also helps me pay listen better to my learners whenever we have a lesson.

It also helps when cute crochet critters are all the rage on the online crafting community these days. ^_^"


I chanced upon this simple cephalopod pattern, and decided to give it a go. The constant round-and-round movement of the single crochet gave me some confidence. ("Yes, Jonette, you still haven't forgotten your hook skills, and no, it will not get all stretched out of shape. Keep crocheting.") Instead of following the pattern's instructions, I decided to mod the tentacles for a more colorful, curlier appeal. I was able to stitch, stuff, and finish the body in a day while in the office, and finished all eight tentacles in a collated time of three hours. (a few minutes watching my boyfriend play Diablo II, three 30-minute lessons with learners -- with some typing on the side, and a few minutes from my lunch break. For the win. ^_~* )


Nobody Puts Squidy in the corner.


After a few more days, I finally stitched the tentacles beneath the body, and Squidy was born.


It's Aliiiiiiive!!!






Squidy watching me work.




I do realize that salmon eyes are delightfully disturbing. Delightful or disturbing, you decide.




And here's a shot of Little Squidy beginning his onslaught of world domination, one human at a time, gnawing at the head of the delightfully talented Mr. Ray, co-worker and buddy.



BRAAAAINS!!! Om nom nom



As of now, I am constructing Squidy's bride (or sister?) in the same hallucinogenic psychedelic stuff that makes his tentacles. And she's going to be bigger. Ohboyohboyohboy. (Now, if I could just find a place that sells decent safety eyes...)

And now, a brief tutorial on hiding crochet tails. :) (Oh, alright, so it's not entirely perfect, but it's a first and I made it, so there. ;P )

0 Comments:

Care to leave a comment? I'd love to hear what's on your mind. :)

Followers