Inspiration: Alegria's The White Singer (April 4, 2008)

Saturday, June 14, 2008 Jonette 0 Comments

I don't have much time right now, so I'll make this post as quick and clear as I can. Great ideas are fleeting, and work is always on your heels.

I've lately been on a video collecting spree of Cirque du Soleil acts, and I found inspiration in Alegria. specifically, the White Singer's costume.

Crazy as it sounds, wouldn't it be fantastic to make this in time for Halloween?

Somehow, the idea of "one time, big time" appealed to me.

Some elements I would have to change, of course. (I actually made a sketch of this in pencil on a square note, but will be making an update on that soon.) A silvery (or ecru?) Tudor shirt with billowy sleeves instead of the tight white satin-y body suit. Material will be mildly translucent when hit by strong light. flouncy/ruffly cuffs gathered by decorative rope, maybe silver too.

Bodice will have a hidden zipper at the back and bones, with straps broad at the shoulders and narrowing down to the bust. Square neckline, to expose feminine upper chest. If there's cleavage, so be it.

Medium-sized Elizabethan neck ruff. In Ecru, ideally.

White stockings. Ballet shoes.

The tulle skirt and crinoline will stay. That's why I fell in love with the costume in the first place.

It's a plan. A very big plan. and I mean BIG.

My Resources, or Bibliography of sorts:

Tudor Shirt: A Gentlewoman's Tudor Shift, by Kimiko Small.

Elizabethan Ruff: Ruffs, from The Renaissance Tailor

And something that might come in handy: Cavalier Collars and Cuffs, from The Renaissance Tailor again.

Out of my mind, be back in a few.

0 Comments:

Care to leave a comment? I'd love to hear what's on your mind. :)

Followers