The Not-So-Loli skirt (February 1, 2008)About a week ago, I began work on some pink cloth meant for my first Lolita skirt. (To those who confuse it with Nabokov novel, please read here and here for the definition of the subculture. Better yet, do peruse the styles in addition for a visual idea.) Unfortunately, at two yards length and a sixty inch width were no match for my hips. I realized too late that at my proportions, this pattern from the egl Livejournal community required more than a mere two yards.
My predicted infuriation (after the measuring and drafting and chalking on, dammit!) won out, and infuriation of this sort always resolves itself in the most efficient way possible: if you can't beat 'em, improvise.
So, I brought out one of my reliable skirts, studied it for a moment, and began working. I modified the pattern's measurement specifications. After six hours, this was the result.
Ladies and gentlemen, my very first self-made skirt.
a close-up of the print...
...and the ribbon hem.
it reminded me of a Frida Kahlo painting. I couldn't resist.
the skirt worn, with legs...
... and the scoundrel responsible for it all.
the intended footwear to go with it, and a black top.
Thus my first forray into making my own skirts. I still do intend to make more in the future, and I'm glad to say that this little experiment has taught me a few things the hard way. The hard way, yes, but well earned nonetheless. Still, I think it's not bad for a first try.
Clearly, I have made some wrong decisions,
but that doesn't mean I can't get away with it smiling.
PS: for a follow-up on how this baby fared later on, click here.